My grandma has two settings when it comes to preparing a meal: super simple or insanely involved. (Did I mention she makes homemade tortellini from scratch?) Since I teach English full time and health coach part-time, I gravitate to the simple variety. But simple does not mean flavorless. Try this recipe out, and you’ll see what I mean.
- 4-5 medium zucchini
- 1-3 eggs (varied based on side dish or breakfast main course)
- 1/4 c chopped onion (sweet or yellow works depending on your taste)
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the zucchini and thinly slice with skin on; set aside.
- Beat eggs and add salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese.
- In a frying pan, add olive oil and chopped onion. Cook until onion begins to sweat.
- Add the zucchini (and 2 tbsp of water if necessary), cover, and cook until zucchini barely wilts.
- Layer a sprinkling of salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally pour the beaten eggs over the zucchini and fold until egg is fully cooked.
HOW WE’VE ENJOYED THIS DISH:
- As a simple breakfast with a piece of toast and jam (cook once, eat twice!)
- Along side homemade cheese ravioli and a side salad
And as my grandmother would say, “Buon appetito!”
One thought on “Mama Maria’s Zucchini & Eggs”
Comments are closed.