If you’re like most people, you’re busy. And when you’re busy, you need food fast because, well, you’ve been busy. So how do you eat healthy while living your best, busy life? It all comes down to understanding your options for healthy eating on-the-go.
When we eat on-the-go, it’s easy to miss important nutrients. Probably one of the main food categories missed are fruits and vegetables. We’re supposed to get in nine servings of fruits and veggies per day, and most people are hovering at about 2.5! Fruits and vegetables are antioxidant powerhouses, so make sure to include them as often as possible. Eating fruits and vegetables on-the-go are actually the fastest of fast foods. There’s not much to crunching into an apple, peeling an orange or even tossing together a salad with your favorite dressing. There’s no cooking involved, yet on-the-goers tend to skimp on the fruits and veggies. Bring some veggies sticks along for the ride or find stores that carry grab ’n go salads.
When it comes to carbohydrates, it’s easier to eat processed carbohydrates on-the-go, because that’s what’s available in most convenience stores and restaurants. But whole grains are essential for lasting energy. Most fast food restaurants and grab-n-go snacks are full of processed, “white” carbohydrates. These foods give a quick energy boost that is short-lived and detract from our health.
Another common ingredient in fast food is unhealthy fat, namely trans fats. It’s important to focus on healthy fats because they help reduce inflammation in the body, improve brain health and mood, while satiating us so that we feel full rather than famished.
Finally, if you eat on-the-run, you may find yourself filling up with empty-calorie snacks that provide you short-term boosts of energy and few nutrients. Avoid fake fuel snacks that deplete your energy like caffeine, sugar and processed foods. Caffeine may seem like it gives you an energy boost, but it doesn’t last long.
Try these simple energy on-the-go snacks
- 🍎🍌 Almond butter spread on an apple or banana
- 🥚 Hard boiled eggs – the most portable food on earth, it comes in it’s own travel case!
- 🥜 Trail Mix – buy raw almonds, walnuts, dried fruit, pumpkin seeds and mix together in a bag before you go out the door.
- 🥕🥒 Veggie sticks – add hummus or salsa
- Whole grain crackers with avocado (if you have a sturdy enough cracker you can use it to scoop the avocado straight out of the skin!)
- 🍓 Organic yogurt with granola or fresh fruit – make sure your yogurt doesn’t have artificial sweeteners added.
- 🍫 Energy Bars – make sure it’s not loaded with ‘fake energy’ such as sugar or high fructose corn syrup.
- 🍅 Grape tomatoes – sprinkle with feta cheese and drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and sea salt
- 🍠 Baked sweet potato – Bake ahead of time and drizzle with agave nectar for a sweet treat.
- 🥑 Avocado – if you are going to be traveling and not able to get a healthy meal, avocados have good fat and will satisfy you.
When you make energizing on-the-go choices, you’ll have more energy to lead your busy lifestyle without feeling depleted or exhausted. So give it a try! What on-the-go options keep you going?