My husband is really good at experimenting. He opens the fridge and sees ideas where I see ingredients from recipes past. With a random amount of leftover pumpkin, an over abundance of carrots, and a bit of broth about to go bad, he came up with this carrot-pumpkin purée. It’s a new favorite at our place. Got any of these items in your refrigerator? If not you probably will soon, so save this recipe for later:
- 4 medium carrots
- 4 tbsp pumpkin puree
- ⅛ – ¼ c chicken broth/milk of your choice (amount varies based on carrot size)
- Salt and/or pepper to taste
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile chop the carrots. Big chunks are fine. No fancy knife skills needed.While you wait you can throw together a salad to make this a complete meal. (Just don’t forget the protein and fat!)
- Once the water’s boiling, add carrots, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain carrots into food processor and add pumpkin with ⅛ c of your liquid of choice. Scrape the sides, checking to see you have your desired consistency. If it’s still too chunky, add more chicken broth/milk and continue to blend.
- Serve and enjoy!
How we’ve enjoyed this dish:
- BBQ Chicken and Green Beans over the Pumpkin-Carrot Purée
- Garlic Butter Salmon with Green Beans and Pumpkin-Carrot Purée (we had a lot of green beans that week too 😆)
- Almond-Crusted Chicken, Pumpkin-Carrot Purée, and a Kale Salad dressed with an Avocado Vinaigrette
Now the challenge is to make a vegetarian or vegan dinner option. 🤔