I am personally amazed by jackfruit. If you’ve never had it, it’s like a banana as far as fibrous fruits go but has the consistency of shredded meat. Like chicken, young jackfruit is pretty neutral tasting and makes a great base for your favorite sauce or seasoning combo. I’ve seen jackfruit in the freezer section of Whole Foods but haven’t experimented much yet. This recipe requires a visit to Trader Joe’s.
For the Jackfruit Cakes:
- 1 box Trader Joe’s Jackfruit Cakes
- 2 tbsp Trader Joe’s Thai Red Curry Sauce
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil Mayo (or vegan substitute)
- Microgreens for garnish
For the rice base:
- 2 c cooked brown rice
- 1/4 c chopped parsley (or cilantro if you prefer)
- lemon juice to taste
- 2 c zucchini and/or yellow squash, chopped
- 2 tsp pitta seasoning blend
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven and cook cakes according to jackfruit cake directions.
- Meanwhile in a warmed skillet, add olive oil to the pan. Sautee veggies until evenly coated with oil and add pitta seasoning blend. Cook until tender. About 5 minutes.
- While the veggies are sauteing, combine Thai Red Curry Sauce and mayo in a small bowl. Reserve for jackfruit cakes.
- Add 1/4 c chopped parsley (or cilantro) to the brown rice and squeeze lemon over rice. Combine adding more lemon to taste as desired. When veggies are done, add to rice.
- To plate: Add 1/2 c or so of rice and veggie mixture to the plate, top with jackfruit cake. Add a dollop of curry sauce mixture onto jackfruit cake and top with microgreens.
How we’ve enjoyed this dish:
- Sub out herbed brown rice for Trader Joe’s Riced Cauliflower Stir Fry for an even quicker meal packed with even more fiber.
A fun comparison:
The table breaks down nutrition facts for 1 c of shredded jackfruit vs. 1 c shredded chicken. While I’m not an advocate for tedious calorie or macro counting, I still find it interesting to compare.
|150 calories||275 calories|
|1g fat||11g fat|
|3mg sodium||99mg sodium|
|739mg potassium||343mg potassium|
|38g carbs||0g carbs|
|31g sugar||0g sugar|
|2.5g fiber||0g fiber|
|2.8g protein||42g protein|
|B6 .5mg (42% DV)||B6 .6mg (43% DV)|
|C 22.6mg (38% DV)||C 0mg (0% DV)|
|Magnesium 47.8mg (14% DV)||Magnesium 32mg (10% DV)|
|Iron .4mg (5% DV)||Iron 1.8mg (8% DV)|